Harry Bertoia was a sculptor of kinetic objects, many of them with mazes of thin rods that appear brush like, Bertoia was born in Son Lorenzo,Italy and came to America in 1930. In 1936, he studied at the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts and then attended Cranbrook Academy of art in Bloomfield, Michigan, where he later taught and established the metalworking department. During this time, he began experimenting with jewelry forms and explored ideas that would later emerge into sculpture.
In 1949,he moved to Barto. Pennsylvania where he joined Hans Knoll in Knoll Associates. He became a prolific architectural sculptor. His first commission was a screen for General Motors Technical Center in Warren, Michigan.His first sculpture exhibition was in 1951 at Knoll Showroom in New York. It was Bertoia’s custom not to sign his works because he believed that the piece itself was a signature,that what he created belonged to the universe, and that a signature called attention to the artist rather than the work of art.